In all honesty, 2012 has been really exhausting. On top of having to cope and adjust with a new member in the family and the chores that having a baby brings about, we made the crazy decision to sell our matrimonial home, moved to a serviced apartment for 3 months and busied ourselves with the design and renovations of our new home. Imagine the amount of packing and unpacking we had to do, considering there was also a two week interval where we moved back to stay with my mum before our new home was ready.
Of course, people who read my blog should be well aware of Aly’s notoriously bad sleeping habits. This means I haven’t had undisrupted sleep for an entire year (other than the 4 nights in Hong Kong). Work has also been busier than ever before. So really, I can’t even begin to describe how physically exhausted I have been.
That said, 2012 also saw me through the proudest moments in my life. These are not my moments. These are Aly’s moments, the first time she flipped from her back to her tummy, the first time she sat up on her own, the first time she pulled herself up to stand, the times she said her first words. Those moments were priceless and because of Aly, 2012 has been amazing in its own ways. I was allowed to experience the immense joy of motherhood in 2012, which has left me excited about what 2013 would bring.
It is not possible for me to exhaustively list the things I am thankful for in 2012, but here are a few.
1) For making it to the two year mark
and resisting the urge to kick each other in the ass amidst all the household chores, packing, unpacking and moving. We celebrated our 2nd year anniversary in October this year with a simple art jamming session! I’m glad we keep to our weekly date nights and are committed to spending time alone as a couple. 2012 hasn’t been easy but I’m glad we kept trying to make things better. We have definitely grown as a couple and for that, I’m thankful.
2) For our first family photoshoot. We thought it would be a good idea to have a shoot in our matrimonial home since it was where Aly was born. The photos turned out great!
3) For being able to celebrate Aly’s first birthday. I’m really thankful that she’s a happy and healthy baby.
4) For our new home. When we first decided to buy this place, it was more of a practical decision in that it checked all the right boxes. I wasn’t that crazy about it, but now I have fallen in love with this place! I’ve always thought we wouldn’t put in the same amount of effort for the interior design given that it’s already our second home but much to our surprise, we were even more involved in the conceptualising of the home design as compared to our previous home. The result is a cosy, comfortable home which truly reflects our personalities.
5) For being able to grow my passion in photography. I’ve always liked taking pictures but I think in 2012 I finally decided I wanted to do more than picture taking. I wanted to take better pictures and I wanted to learn more about photography. Thankful for the camera that YS got me for our wedding anniversary. Now I just have to be more disciplined in the editing and saving of photos!
6) For Aly. Need I say more?
2012, thank you for all the good times.